Information

Poisoning of dogs or cats by rat poisons (Dicoumarins)

Poisoning of dogs or cats by rat poisons (Dicoumarins)


There are some types of poisons to kill mice that are used routinely to control the pest. However, this substance can cause serious damage to the health of an animal, since, unfortunately, this poison is not always used for its main purpose - causing the poisoning of dogs or cats by rat poisons (dicoumarins) to become a real possibility.

With the growth of the canine and feline population, the discomfort of people also increased due to the sounds of barking, overturned garbage, fights, animals loose in the street and the surprises of finding urine and feces in improper places and; with that, many ‘revolts’ end up using this toxic in a criminal way, causing itpoisoning of dogs or cats by rat poisons and, in most cases, leading these small animals to death.

Being able to highlight a pink or bluish color and to be presented in powder or granules, this type of substance is also known by the names of Ratak, Klerat, Warfarin, Ramik or Racumin. its main consequences are the triggering of a deficiency in vitamin K synthesis; which, as a result, causes a change in the animal's blood clotting.

Among the most common changes seen in cases of dicoumarin poisoning in dogs and catswe can quote:

  • Apathy
  • Incoordination
  • Weakness
  • Blood in urine or faeces
  • Vomiting with or without bleeding
  • Change in cardiac pattern
  • Change in breathing pattern

Although the aforementioned symptoms are, in general, the most common; Poisoning by rat poison, in its most severe form, can also cause hemorrhages in several regions of the body - which in some pieces can even be seen as bruises on the pet's skin, bleeding from the mouth, bleeding from the nostrils or, generalized .

Read More: Sting of venomous animals in dogs and cats

This bleeding usually occurs two to five days after exposure of the animal to the toxic product, and it is possible that blood tests are done to alert us about the decoagulation capacity of the affected pet - considering that the effect of dicoumarinic in the animal's organism can prevent a habitual physiological response to bleeding and / or even cause spontaneous bleeding. difficult to control.

That said, it is clear that knowing how to proceed when identifying the signs of intoxication in the animal is essential for the recovery of the pet, and three main steps must be followed in this type of occurrence:

  • Remove the animal from the compromised location
  • Take your pet to the veterinarian so that detoxification measures are carried out. If there is bleeding (difficult to occur at the time of intoxication, but it can be noticed days after intoxication), compress the affected area with a clean towel until the professional's monitoring, avoiding large blood losses
  • Clean the area with soap and water and make sure there is no chance of further intoxication

THE control intoxicationit is done with the administration of vitamin K, which should be administered for a few days in order to stimulate the clotting process. Activated charcoal is also usually used in order to prevent the total absorption of the agent by the body. Supportive therapy in these cases is also essential, ensuring the acceleration of the excretion of the poison and improving the assistance and monitoring of the veterinarian so that the success of the treatment is total.


Video: How to get rid of Mouse rats, permanently in a natural way--Get rid of mice fast at home